Vieux Carre‎ > ‎

Jackson Square

Andrew Jackson, or “Old Hickory”, as he was more fondly known, was the 7th US president.  As a general, Jackson was instrumental in the victory of the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812.  A great victory for Jackson, the battle was fought in what is now known as Jackson Square and is the site at which his statue now stands.   The motto, “The Union must and shall be preserved” was added to the monument during the Union occupation of the city during the Civil War.



Jackson's statue was designed by Clark Mills, and stands at the center of Jackson Square in the Place d’Armes.
The statue is unique in the fact that it is only supported by the two back legs of the horse with no other bracing.


This sign located to the entrance of the Place d’Armes park in Jackson Square in front of St. Louis Cathedral.  One will find both French and Spanish names on various things since both nations at one time or another had possession and control over New Orleans in the past.

 

When these apartments were built, the French Quarter was dying commercially, with businesses moving out of the French section to above Canal Street.  This is believed to be the first attempt at urban renewal. 


The fortune tellers and entertainers can hang around Jackson Square until quite late, especially on the weekends.  This photo was taken at Midnight.




Pierre Antoine Alley.  As with most other locations in New Orleans,
it is reputed to be haunted.



Carriages giving private and group rides line up all day and deep into the night in front of Jackson Square.  Generally, a private carriage ride for up to five people is $75 for a half-hour; a group ride is $15 a person.  Mules pull the carriages because they can withstand the summer heat better than horses.


  
Magnificent buildings flank two sides of Jackson Square along St. Peter and St. Ann Streets and represent possibly the oldest apartment buildings and townhouses ever built in the United States. The structures were built by Baroness Micaela Almonester Pontalba in about 1855. 



Fortune tellers, artists and performers fill the walk- ways and surround Jackson Square hoping to make a passing tourist a customer.  This scene is located near the entrance of the park in front of the cathedral.


Once the seat of Spanish government and now a museum, located next door to St. Louis Cathedral.  The Cabildo was erected in 1779 but burned in the Great Fire of 1788.  After it was rebuilt in 1797, it was called the ‘Capitol House’ (Casa Capitular).  Inside were signed the papers which returned Louisiana to France and then its transference to the United States in 1803.  The Cabildo was seriously damaged by a fire in May 1988 and has since undergone restoration.


Pirate's Alley.  A lot of contraband was bought and sold here--directly under the eyes of the church (to the right) and the state (the Cabildo), to the left.




This is Spiderman, one of the performing characters who can be found in and around the Vieux Carre.  Always ready to take a picture, Spiderman could be found anywhere between the French Market, Jackson Square and Bourbon Street.  Here, Spiderman is posing at Jackson Square in September, 2000.