Vieux Carre‎ > ‎

LaLaurie Mansion

The premier haunted house of New Orleans, La Maison Lalurie on the corner of Gov. Nicholls and Royal St. at
1140 Royal Street has the worst reputation of any structure within the city limits. 


On April 10, 1834, Madame Lalaurie was found to be hiding the most horrific scene of barbarity that can be conceived. Firemen responding to a kitchen fire at the house found male and female slaves chained to the walls, suffering from various forms of mutilation and torture; some were rumored to be even dead. Madame Lalaurie escaped police and an angry mob and reportedly fled the city by horse-drawn coach, never to be seen again. Some believe she hid on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain before going back to Paris.
Actor Nicolas Cage owned the Lalaurie Mansion for a couple of years.
Cage is reputed to have refused to stay overnight in the house, but did
provide a few embellishments such as adding the sign to the left and
hanging a few decorative skeletons over gates and other entrances.
Ghost tour guides say that Cage would come out and greet the tours
when he was home during times when tours were held.

Adam, a tour guide for Haunted History Tours, recounts the story of
Madame Lalaurie and the horrors that occurred under her roof.  Adam
stated that the Lalaurie Mansion is only rivaled by the Myrtles Plantation
in St. Francisville as Louisiana's most haunted house.

One of the toy skeletons left over from Nicolas Cage's reign at the Lalaurie Mansion. 
The Lalaurie Mansion from September 2000.  Over the years, the
mansion has functioned as a saloon, a furniture store, and as an
apartment complex.  Some people have complained of terrible smells,
hearing screams and seeing apparitions within its walls.

A private carriage stops at Royal and Gov. Nicholls so that the
passengers ("Just Married" states the sign!) can hear the story
of the haunts of the Lalaurie house. 


This historic plaque is located on the wall facing Governor Nicholls Street.